Classic Dark Chocolate Cake
EXCELLENCE 90% Bar 100g
10 - 11 people
- Chocolate cake:
- 4,7 dl (475 ml) flour
- 0,6 dl (60 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ tsp (9 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2,4 dl (235 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1,2 dl (120 ml) granulated sugar
- 1,8 dl (180 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt EXCELLENCE 90% Cacao, melted in a double boiler or microwave, and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 3,5 dl (355 ml) buttermilk
- Buttercream Frosting:
- 4,7 dl (475 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3,5 dl (355 ml) icing sugar
- 2 bars (100 g each) Lindt EXCELLENCE 70% Cacao, melted in a double boiler or microwave, and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter three 23 cm pans and line with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, sift flour with cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugars with butter on medium-high until light and fluffy, 1 minute. Reduce speed to medium-low and stream in melted chocolate until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, just until combined. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk in 2 parts. Divide batter between pans, smoothing tops.
Bake in centre of oven until a tester inserted into the centre of cakes comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack. After 10 minutes, run a knife around sides of cakes. Turn out of pans. Invert and cool on racks, about 1 hour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator, 2 more hours.
To assemble a layered cake, trim tops of cakes if needed. Place 1 cake round on a cake stand. Spread with 1,2 dl of the buttercream (see instructions, below). Lay another cake round on top. Repeat spreading and layering. Frost sides and top of cake.
Meanwhile, to make the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with icing sugar for about a minute on medium speed until combined. Reduce the speed to medium-low and stream in melted chocolate until combined. Add the vanilla and increase speed to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes until very light and fluffy (you could do this by hand but it will take much longer).
To assemble the cake:
Remove the 3 cakes from the fridge and set onto a flat board. Trim (if needed) to ensure they are smooth and flat.
Place 1 round on a cake stand and spread with buttercream. Lay another cake round on top. Repeat spreading and layering before frosting the sides and top of the cake. Gently arrange chocolate curls in the centre of the cake and serve.
Write Your Own Review